The videos, showing heavy, wind-driven fire conditions, were added at 9:45 p.m. This story was updated Wednesday morning and new photos were added.
Sept. 11 - Close to 50 firefighters were called to the scene of an intense fire that tore through a home in St. Anthony Village Tuesday night. Officials said was sparked by a grill that was just used to cook dinner.
Shortly before 8 p.m. firefighters were called to the 2900 block of 33 Avenue NE, just west of Silver Lake Road, for a house fire.
“The homeowner just finished cooking dinner on the grill and soon after they saw the back of the house on fire,” St. Anthony Fire Chief John Malenick said.
“He tried to use a hose, but when he saw how fast it was spreading he abandoned the idea, grabbed his dogs and escaped just in time.” Malenick added that high winds fanned the flames immediately.
First arriving Engine 12, from only a few blocks away, reported heavy fire showing from the two-story home and requested mutual aid. In photos sent to Twin Cities Fire Wire, flames are seen covering the entire rear of the structure.
Malenick said the entire rear of the home was engulfed and fire quickly spread through the second floor of the home, shooting out the front windows when crews arrived. Firefighters deployed a BlitzFire through the front windows to begin knocking down the fire.
Two supply lines were laid to the scene as crews moved additional hoselines to the rear of the home. A few pine trees, reaching 30 to 40 feet in height were also burning.
The fire was brought under control around 30 minutes after crews arrived and they remained on scene to perform extensive overhaul on both levels of the home.
Hennepin EMS crews evaluated several firefighters at the scene. “A couple of firefighters suffered dehyradation because of the heat,” Malenick said.
Mutual aid responded from Columbia Heights, Falcon Heights, Fridley, New Brighton and Roseville.