May 19 - A stubborn fire that burned in the attic of a South St. Paul home Saturday evening may have been sparked by lightning.
South Metro crews, along with automatic aid from Inver Grove Heights, were dispatched to 257 4th Ave. S. at 7:30 p.m. Crews from Station 2, located only a few blocks away, arrived to find heavy smoke from the 2 1/2-story dwelling. A second alarm was called.
The crew from Engine 2 stretched a pre-connect to the interior and crews found fire burning in the attic area. A positive pressure fan was positioned at the front door of the home.
A second attack line was stretched to the entrance of the home.
Firefighters from Inver Grove Heights Engine 33 placed portable ladders to the C and D sides of the home and crews removed the gables to access the attic space.
Neighbors at the scene told Twin Cities Fire Wire that they heard a loud crack and then saw smoke coming from the home. As crews worked at the scene lightning lit up the scene.
- Assignment: South Metro Engines 1 and 2, Ladders 1 and 2 and Chiefs 1 and 2. Automatic Aid: Inver Grove Heights Engine 33 and Chief 2. EMS Standby: HealthEast Ambulance